Ephesians 6:10-19, 1 Peter 5:8-9, Matthew 4:2-4,
Matthew 16:22-23, Isaiah 54:17, 2 Corinthians 10:3-5
Pastor Jerry Webb - September 4th, 2022
The emphasis on Overcoming the attack on YOUR Faith
A. Above All, take up the shield of Faith to quench ALL the fiery darts of the wicked one.
B. The Shield of Faith is an extremely important part of the Armor of God.
C. Our Faith must be established in Christ, for any other place is sinking sand.
A Look at our text
A. The First Arrow
1. Normal Arrow, sharp pointed head (1 Peter 5:8-9)
2. This arrow is enough to get your attention. This arrow is sometimes found when:
a. After getting a touch from God. (Matthew 3:16)
b. Beginning a new direction with God. (Matthew 4:17)
c. When you are physically vulnerable. (Matthew 4:2-4)
3. Keep seeking the Kingdom
B. The Second Arrow
1. Metal Tip, covered with a pitch tar like substance, could be lit and shot against wooden frames. Sometimes shot up close.
2. Armies would use this against their enemies to have the chance of igniting their personnel, fortifications, and territories.
3. This arrow is intended to damage/distract your faith.
a. Sometimes it’s through someone you trust whose under a demonic influence.
b. Don’t get caught up in emotion, listen to the Holy Spirit.
c. Matthew 16:22-23, Ephesians 6:12)
C. The Third Arrow
1. Stem filled with combustible substance, lit metal head which the impact when the target was hit would split the stem of the arrow.
a. Thus causing the fire on the tip to spread to the object the arrow struck.
2. This arrow is meant to destroy you and everything around you.
a. Meant to come against your faith, your finances, your family, etc.
b. We must remember that we have power in the name of Jesus, use it.
c. Isaiah 54:17, 2 Corinthians 10:3-5
The Fiery Darts
A. Long Spear shafts with three-foot iron heads, which when set on fire, were so powerful they could thrust through armor.
1. When the Bible mentions fiery darts, it’s communicating what happens when the adversary throws thoughts into our minds.
a. He “sets them on fire”, releasing burning images or thoughts into our consciences.
b. Without the Word of God & Holy Spirit, we are unable to remove these, but when we quote the Word and exercise our Faith in his Word - our shield FORMS!
c. The Shield of FAITH prevents the “fire” from moving out of our thoughts and into our heart and spirit.
Preparing Your Shield
The Danger of a dry shield is that the covering would become brittle and vulnerable to fire.
A. To prevent a dry shield, soldiers would carry oil to rub the surface of their shield. (Isaiah 21:5)
B. The Oil represents the Holy Spirit and after the anointing, the Holy Spirit comes upon you! (1 Samuel 16:13)
C. Our Shield must be saturated - spend time in prayer and praying in the spirit.